Conservation Halton was formed in 1956 as the Sixteen Mile Conservation Authority followed by the formation of the Twelve Mile Conservation Authority in 1957. In 1963 these conservation authorities amalgamated to form the Halton Region Conservation Authority which later became Conservation Halton. Interestingly, our area was a factor at the original conference in Guelph, Ontario in the early 1940’s where the concept of conservation authorities was developed. It was noted that extensive quarrying was taking place in escarpment areas and we were at risk of losing many significant natural sites. This also played into the development of the concept of conservation authorities. In fact, it was a quarry operation at Mt. Nemo in 1958 that contributed to the formation of the Twelve Mile Creek Authority which acquired 88 acres at Mt. Nemo as their first action.