Nominations for 2013 Conservation Awards of Excellence are now open
Do you know an environmental champion? An environmental champion can be your friend, co-worker, neighbour or family member, or it could be a local youth or a school group, business or organization.
The Conservation Halton Environmental Awards of Excellence recognize the environmental champions in our watershed who have worked hard to protect, preserve or enhance our environment.
The Awards will be presented at Conservation Halton's Awards evening on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at Conservation Halton's Administration Office, located at 2596 Britannia Road (just west of Guelph Line) in Burlington.
Conservation Award of Excellence Categories and Nomination Process
Anyone in the community can submit a nomination in the following award categories listed below. Nominations must be submitted by midnight on Friday, May 3, 2013.
- Citizen Award - Presented to a citizen who has made a significant effort to improve the natural environment in the Halton watershed.
- Citizen (Youth) Award – Presented to a youth who has made a significant effort to improve the natural environment in the Halton Watershed.
- Community Award - Presented to a community organization, institution or business that has undertaken a significant conservation action that exemplifies wise conservation.
- Corporate Award - Presented to a corporation or municipality that demonstrates leadership in protecting and enhancing the natural environment
- Education (Individual) Award - Presented to a person who has promoted a better understanding and appreciation of conservation.
- Education (Group or School) Award - Presented to a group or school that has promoted a better understanding and appreciation of conservation.
- Media / Blogger Award - Presented to a member of the print, radio, television, or online media including website, social media campaigns and blogs that raises awareness of environmental issues, challenges and solutions in the watershed.
- Stewardship Award - Presented to a landowner who demonstrates stewardship excellence in protecting the natural environment of their property.
The Parks Volunteer Award and Ralph Sherwood Honour Roll can only be nominated by Conservation Halton Board and Staff members.
- Parks Volunteer Award (nominated by CH Staff) - Presented to a volunteer who has made a contribution in our parks that helps improve facilities, programs, or services.
- Ralph Sherwood Honour Roll Award (nominated by CH Board) - Presented to past and current directors of Conservation Halton and its volunteer Foundation for exemplary effort in protecting and enhancing the natural environment.
Helpful Tips for Nominations
Completing the nomination form takes only a few minutes. Try to provide plenty of background information on the nominee and their accomplishments. This helps the selection committee in making their decision. Here are some other helpful tips for nominations:
- Nominees will be judged on the quality of their achievement
- Nominations should include sufficient information to give the selection committee a good idea about who the nominee is and the impact of their accomplishment
- Include any additional information you feel will support the nomination, such as photos, testimonial letters, media stories, etc.
- If you have any questions or problems submitting your award nomination please send us an e-mail or call 905-336-1158
Nominations for the 2013 Conservation Halton Awards of Excellence
must be submitted by midnight on Friday, May 3, 2013.
About the Conservation Awards of Excellence
Every year, Conservation Halton recognizes people and organizations who have made significant contributions to conservation in the Halton watershed. Nominees have included such groups as teacher associations and federations, scout and guide organizations, naturalist clubs, corporations, government agencies and private landowners.
There are ten categories in the program including citizen, citizen (youth), community, corporate, education (individual), education (group or school), stewardship and the Ralph Sherwood Honour Roll. In 2010, the parks volunteer category was added and in 2012 the media/blogger category was awarded. The awards program was initiated by Conservation Halton in 1982.